How to Raise a Boy - The Power of Connection to Build Good Men
Author(s): Michael C. Reichert
At a time when many boys are in crisis, a much-needed roadmap for helping boys grow into strong and compassionate men
Over the past two decades there has been an explosion of new studies that have expanded our knowledge of how boys think and feel. In How to Raise a Boy, psychologist Michael Reichert draws on his decades of research to challenge age-old conventions about how boys become men.
Reichert explains how the paradigms about boys needing to be stoic and "man like" can actually cause them to shut down, leading to anger, isolation, and disrespectful or even destructive behaviors. The key to changing the culture lies in how parents, educators, and mentors help boys develop socially and emotionally. Reichert offers readers step-by-step guidance in doing just this by:
- Listening and observing, without judgment, so that boys know they're being heard.
- Helping them develop strong connections with teachers, coaches, and other role models
- Encouraging them to talk about their feelings about the opposite sex and stressing the importance of respecting women
- Letting them know that they don't have to "be a man" or "suck it up," when they are experiencing physical or emotional pain.
Featuring the latest insights from psychology and neuroscience, How to Raise a Boy will help those who care for young boys and teenagers build a boyhood that will enable them to grow into confident, accomplished and kind men.
- : 9780593189085
- : Penguin Publishing Group
- : penguin random house
- : 0.423655
- : July 2020
- : .844 Inches X 6 Inches X 9 Inches
- : books
- : Michael C. Reichert
- : Paperback
- : English
- : 336